May 25, 2016

I'm taking the day off. Enjoy some turtle pictures.

I'm taking the day off from blogging to give my brain a chance to relax. It's feeling tense. Maybe it needs a massage. On second thought, that brings to mind the T.A.H.I.T.I. project on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., so maybe I will pass.

In the meantime, I'll hook you up with some turtle pictures, because I'm nice like that. This is my Raphael, and isn't he a cutie?



Originally, Mom and Dad procured a 20 gallon tank for him, but we quickly realized that wasn't going to work. Here's the original set up though, while we waited for our new UVB lamp to come in...


He is not used to being so visible to people, so I think it tripped him out a little at first...


Before the 20 gallon tank was replaced, but after the UVB light was added. We went with the combo. Both it and the new lamp stand came from Zoo Med, as did the floating turtle dock...


His "I'm too old for this shit" face. However, he enjoys basking on his dock under his new lamp, so there's that.


The bigger tank. The perspective makes it hard to tell, but you can see the gap between the underwater log and the dock has improved significantly. He's loving all the space, except in this picture, when he's like, "You can shove that phone straight up your ass, human."


If you look really closely in the bottom left corner, you'll see one of the three ghost shrimp we added. They are pretty transparent, though. We originally added three shrimp and three minnows because my spousal unit believed Raph would eat them.

He has not.

Here he's not even realized that his cage has additional life forms. Ignore the state of his shell--he's being treated for shell rot, and we're seeing daily improvements.


"What are you looking at? Silly human."


When we treat his shell, we have to let him dry for a bit before and afterwards. Here he is watching my eldest play Star Wars Battlefront. I think he's trying to learn some techniques to use against the minnows.


This picture is from today. Raph is switching up his tactic. He was trying to chase the minnows, but quickly realized that he can't catch them that way.

Today, he's hiding under his log. He stays very still, just watching the fish, while it swims closer and closer. He's watching it the entire time, and every time he doesn't snap at it, it gets a little bolder, coming a little closer the next time...

I'm interested to see how it plays out for my old scaley man. Hopefully, he'll have some success.

Here's a video of him chasing minnows.



And a video of him just leisurely swimming.


Anyway, I've obviously been pretty busy since the last time we checked in and had an open thread. What about you lot? What have you been up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment