January 22, 2016

Feminist Friday: Do's and Don'ts of Engaging With Women on Social Media, Part III

If you'd like to read the other parts of this series, check out Part I and Part II.

Okay, I'm back with another Feminist Friday installment of how to interact with women on social media. I'm not going to do much by way of introduction this week because I think we all know the drill.

Here's how to interact with women on social media, take three.


1. Please do take criminal domestic violence seriously.


Our state consistently ranks in the top ten for the number of women killed by men. For reference, we have about five times as many women killed each year as the nation of Ireland, and we have a slightly smaller population.

Despite this fact, our local news commentators seem to be remarkably flippant about the subject.




So I saw this headline on a news story, and I thought, here we go, Imma screenshot this one for my column, I knew I'd find more material....

But I was pleasantly surprised. Check the top comments:


I was amazed.

There were the obligatory jokes, too:


Don't make jokes about criminal domestic violence.

Try this instead; Be like the top two commenters. Those commenters are awesome.


2. Don't...just don't.


Recently, a woman was promoted to the head of a town police department. There's no empirical data on how many women hold similar positions in our state, but suffice to say, it's not many.

And so this story popped up:



I chose not to include the photo that the news ran, but suffice to say, it was a photo of an attractive blonde woman in police uniform.

Then this happened:


And it kept happening....

And still more...

I'm sorry, dude, I can't help you because I can't understand the question. Apparently I don't speak sexist asshole...maybe I should look into a translator app...

....I don't even have a snarky comment for this one.

So don't do this, guys. Try this instead: "Congrats! Good job! Thanks for your service and commitment to our community!"


3. Don't blame victims of sexual harassment.


I really don't know how many times I can go over this, but hey, here we go again:

DON'T BLAME VICTIMS OF RAPE, SEXUAL ASSAULT, OR SEXUAL HARASSMENT FOR THIER OWN RAPE, ASSAULT OR HARASSMENT. Really. It's not that difficult.

So here's the story:


And here's the response that made me go full on ALL CAPS:


Just...no. No. No. No.


Try this instead: "That's really awful. What steps is the park taking to prevent this from continuing in the future?"

*****

Together, we can make the world (wide web) a better place.

It's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment