November 06, 2015

Feminist Friday: It's not the first time Snap Judgement has renewed my commitment to social justice, but...

Today, per usual, I'm working around the house and I've got my podcasts going. In this case, I'm folding laundry. It's both my least favorite chore to do and my most favorite chore to do while I am listening to an interesting podcast--for the same reason. It's so tedious and monotonous and repetitive that it's incredibly boring...but it's also perfect for when I'm focused on something else. My hands do the work on their own, and I get to tune into what I'm watching or listening to.

Today, it was Snap Judgement's "Cross to Bear" episode, and I was absolutely struck by the story of an Iranian refugee, a man who found out that he was part Jewish (which, much like the Nazis some Iranian officials deny, was enough to be considered fully Jewish for state purposes). He also performed illegal abortions for women that needed them--and even hymen reconstructions to help prevent these women from being stoned or executed for their "transgressions". He did this despite extreme threat to his own person if he were ever found out.

Needless to say...he was found out.

It's a great story. Kooshyar Karimi, the subject, tells it himself for the episode.

You may be expecting me to say that it reminded me to continue to fight for women's right to choose whether to carry or terminate a pregnancy--and it did. But even more than that, it reminded me that intersectionality is important.

In the story, Karimi's heritage was an important part of his oppression. Even as he helped pregnant people, he knew that heritage added an extra layer of danger for him than it did for a person that did not share his heritage.

All in all, it was a fantastic episode. Check it out here if you'd like to listen online, or you can find it through iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can check out the Kindle version of Karimi's book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment