March 09, 2015

Stories in Stupidity: Let's talk about Pat Robertson.

Pat Robertson. He's given me so much fodder that I really can't do an individual post for each of them, so I figured, let's do a semi-open thread for this week's Story in Stupidity.

Robertson has made it into the media spotlight again with two separate incidents.

Raw Story broke the first on March 2 (edited by me to correct some punctuation errors at the very end):

“God gave you and me as human beings authority, he gave us dominion over everything on this Earth,” the TV preacher explained on Monday’s 700 Club. “Over all the animals, all the snakes, all the birds, all the plants, all the vegetables.” 
“Cocaine is the product of a vegetable, alcohol is the product of a vegetable, marijuana is a vegetable,” he continued. “And yet, people are enslaved to vegetables. And you were made in the image of God. God made you in his image to reign and rule with him. He gave you incredible authority.” 
“Why would you become a slave to a vegetable? Why? Why would you do it?"

Did Pat fall asleep watching Veggie Tales and have a particularly vivid nightmare again?


On March 6, Pat again made the news. A listener wrote in and asked Pat whether they should attend their child's wedding. You see, they are Christians and really believe in marriage, but their child is gay. The couple was torn on the decision, with one thinking it might be okay to go and the other thinking it would be an endorsement of sin. You can watch the whole video at the link above.

Pat's sage advice to this couple on arguably one of the most important days of their child's life went a lil something like this:

You don’t agree with it… You’ve got to stand there and be a witness to it. By your attendance at the ceremony, you are agreeing with it… I just wouldn’t go. I would tell your child, “I love you but I cannot condone this. We will always love you but I don’t condone this activity.” And so, I’m here if you need me.

These two egregious incidents join a long list of Robertson's controversial comment, a small section of which can be found at the Wiki for Pat Robertson controversies.

I think my favorites are a toss up between the time he tried to smear the director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State like this (quoted from that Wiki):

On the November 5, 2005 airing of The 700 Club, Robertson claimed that Reverend Barry W. Lynn, director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said that ""if a church is burning down, the local community could not send the fire engine to put the fire out because that would violate, quote, separation of church and state."[53] Rev. Lynn responded, denying the allegation and saying "I've seen [Robertson] take pot shots at me with information I have repeatedly told them is not true. Robertson, for example, continues to tell national television audiences that I believe that a public fire department can't go to a burning church without violating the separation of church and state. He apparently uses this "anecdote" to demonstrate my radical, wacky beliefs. Trouble is (for him), I never said it and don't believe it."[54] 

and that time he agreed with Jerry Falwell on what caused the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks (again, quoted from that Wiki):

Many of Robertson's views mirror those of fellow evangelical activist pastor Jerry Falwell, who made frequent appearances on The 700 Club. He agreed with Falwell when Falwell stated that the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks were caused by "pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays, lesbians, the American Civil Liberties Union and the People For the American Way."[24][25]

Oh, and there was that time he said this:


I can't forget that one.

What's your favorite Pat Robertson quote? And better yet, what will he think of next?

No comments:

Post a Comment