March 24, 2015

Dear Phil Robertson: Shut the fuck up.

I'm breaking a cardinal rule this evening. Actually, at least two.

1. I'm blogging in anger.
2. I'm blogging while PMSing.
3. I'm breaking both the above rules at the same damned time.

But really, Hemant Mehta just posted something at The Friendly Atheist that has me absolutely seething. Usually, I subject you all to my ramblings. Today, come along with me--we're going to go a-ranting.

First off, let me share with you what this enlightened, caring, compassionate, considerate True Christian™ said, and then we'll go from there:

I’ll make a bet with ya. Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him. And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, “Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now is it dude?” 
Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, “Wouldn’t it be something if this [sic] was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun! We’re sick in the head! Have a nice day.” 
If it happened to them, they probably would say, “Something about this just ain’t right.”

What.The.Actual.Fuck is this.

What is this. I cannot even wrap my mind around the depths of depravity one would have to be possessed of in order to craft such a vulgar, obscene, violent, immoral and atrocious scenario. What.The.Actual.Fuck.


That's right, gawys. Everyone's favorite True Christian™, now assured of his invincibility by lack of consequences when he's made out of line statements before, actually said this. He did.

WWJD? What would Jesus do? Apparently, he would allow this idiot to use sexual violence and murder to try some kind of a point. I'm still not sure what, because I tried to find it, but I'm allergic to bullshit and it nearly triggered a severe reaction.

Can I just be real for a second? Whenever a theist goes, "But how do you know it's wrong to rape and murder if God doesn't say so?", it is absolutely terrifying. Because that's not what I, as an atheist, hear.

What I hear is something more like: "God is the only thing keeping me from raping and murdering you right now." And that.is.terrifying.

That says, "I have no idea what is right and wrong unless someone holds my hand and walks me through it," and that.is.terrifying.

And let's be real: God has commanded people to rape and murder in the past. So I don't exactly have faith that he won't decide to go a little wild again. You know God--he can't hold his tequila, man...

Back to the topic at hand: Phil Robertson makes a key logical error here: he's created a strawman, and he's arguing against it with this absolutely horrific reasoning. His strawman states, quite proudly: "Atheists don't believe in morality."

But he is wrong. Atheists, and atheism, have no official stance on morality. And while I'd wager there's far more moral relativists among atheists than among believers, there's often still a belief in morality, and in right and wrong. We just don't get that morality from an ancient text. Often, we reason it out for ourselves.

For instance, reason tells me that the individuals around me have as much of a right to live as I do. They have the right to think and to feel and to move about without fear that I will do them violence or harm. They have the right to feel safe in their homes, knowing that I will not encroach upon that sanctity. They have the right to live their lives free of the fear that I will rape them or their children, that I will kill their loved ones, or that I will injure their genitals. They have those rights, the same as I expect those rights from them. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. Neither I nor the individuals around me has an objective moral high ground; rather, we are in a give and take at any given time.

And honestly, I truly hope that Phil Robertson never loses his faith in God, because apparently that is the only thing keeping him from committing absolutely unspeakable and disgusting acts of violence.

I hope someday that Robertson looks back on statements like these, and others, and he thinks to himself, "Damn. I was an asshole."

I don't have much faith (HA!) in that though, so in the mean time, I'm going to give way to the headline of this post.

Dear Phil Robertson: Please shut the fuck up.

Shut the fuck up about people that aren't you. Shut the fuck up about people's lives that don't involve you. Shut the fuck up about other people's bodies, about other people's marriages, about other people's sexuality. Shut the fuck up about other people's beliefs, or their lack thereof. You are absolutely clueless.

Shut the fuck up.

You know what you can talk about, Robertson? You can talk about duck calls. I will be more than happy to listen to your advice and experience on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment