September 17, 2014

Women of Doubt: Debbie Goddard is a fearless inquirer



Today's Women of Doubt will be a short one, because I am really just linking you to the blog of a fantastic writer, who I enjoy reading personally.

This is Debbie Goddard. Goddard works with the Center for Inquiry, as the director of their outreach program, which extends CFI outreach efforts across college campuses both in the U.S. and abroad.


Debbie Goddard is the outreach director at the Center for Inquiry Transnational in Amherst, NY. She is also the director of African Americans for Humanism, a program of the Council for Secular Humanism. Before working for CFI, she participated in local freethought groups in the greater Philadelphia region and helped organize and support campus groups internationally as a student volunteer. She has also been involved with progressive issues and LGBT activism.



From the About page on her website:

Hello! My name is Debbie Goddard. I grew up in Philadelphia but now live in Buffalo, NY. I moved there to take an amazing job in the Outreach department at the Center for Inquiry. It’s a fulfilling occupation that keeps me busy! 
When I have time for hobbies, I like to play guitar, play volleyball, hike, bake fun desserts, and draw superheroes, especially ones from Marvel comics—well, I generally just copy panels from pages of comics I like as drawing practice.

Goddard blogs at her own site, the DebGodBlog, and also contributes at Free Thinking, The Course of Reason, and Skepchick. I'll let you find the links to that from her blog. Do a little legwork, people!

It's always hard to do the influence part of these blog posts for people who are still living--because they still have so much potential! Goddard is an excellent example.

If I had to pin it down, I believe her outreach activities will truly be an extraordinary influence on the next generation of free-thinkers and inquirers. But she's got extraordinary talent, and I am far undershooting what remains to be seen. That's the beautiful part about the living--the best is always yet to come!

I can never underestimate the possibility that someone who is featured in these posts might find them (with the exception of the long departed, of course), as it has happened before, and if Debbie does happen across it, I'd like to say:

Thanks. Your blog is an incredibly refreshing read, and I enjoy running across new posts on my blog reader.

And to the rest of you scalliwags: Get ye to the links above! I don't just post these for you to sit back on your heels--go and support the tradition of doubt and women as voices of it! You must solemnly swear this to me. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment