July 28, 2014

When Are We Asking For It?
Mr. Smith, would you please elaborate on when women are asking to be abused?

Ray Rice was accused of punching his partner in the face. He was caught on video dragging her unconscious body from a hotel elevator.

The NFL decided that Mr. Rice's actions and alleged actions were absolutely heinous and warranted the strongest penalty they could impose: a two-game suspension. All hail their might and mercy and sense of justice.

Naturally, this story is making news. ESPN has covered it from a variety of angles, but a very important one was voiced by Stephen A. Smith:
“But what I’ve tried to employ the female members of my family, some of who you all met and talked to and what have you, is that again, and this what, I’ve done this all my life, let’s make sure we don’t do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come, or somebody else come, whether it’s law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know, if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn’t negate the fact that they already put their hands on you. So let’s try to make sure that we can do our part in making sure that that doesn’t happen.”
Let's overlook the use of "employ", which I'm assuming he meant as "implore", and focus on the rest of Mr. Smith's mess for a moment, shall we?
"Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions."

"Let's make sure..."

"Let's..."

Did he really say that? Tell me he didn't *really* say that. Tell me, please, before I stroke out.

How exactly does one provoke someone to abuse you? That's my question. I'm sincerely curious on that point. How do you make someone so angry that they hit you? What action is worth of that?

I know Mr. Smith is trying to hedge himself--it's wrong, nothing negates that it happens, yada yada yada.

But at the end of it, what constitutes "provocation"? Because the stories are endless of what provokes men to violence.

For some women, it's jealousy--flirtation, perceived or actual. A dress. Hair out of place. Dinner not ready. House or children not clean enough. Said the wrong thing. Moved the wrong way. Stated an opinion...or didn't. A slight, real or imagined. Embarrassing him in public somehow.

Basically, there are as many ways to "provoke" a man as there are ways to please him.

So please, Mr. Smith, would you please elaborate for me?

I really need to know how to best avoid being abused.

No comments:

Post a Comment